Water & Sewer - Living Here

How do I...

View my water and sewer bill?

View your water and sewer bill

Pay my water and sewer bill?

We offer many ways to pay your water and sewer bill.

Residential Rates: Water and Sewer bills are sent bi-monthly and are based on usage measured in 1,000 gallon increments.

Commercial Rates: Most commercial customers are billed bi-monthly. Charges are based on usage measured in 1,000 gallon increments.

Make payment arrangements?

Call (804) 365-6024.

Receive my bill by email instead of mail?

Fill out our “e-notification” application.

    Set up, transfer or turn off my water and sewer service?

    Call (804) 365-6024.

    Understand how my bill was calculated?

    Call (804) 365-6024.

    Request a credit if there has been a water leak in my home?

    To be considered for a leak credit, complete a leak report and send it to Public Utilities.

    Connect my home to public water and sewer?

    View our step-by-step guide

    Find out what the flushing signs mean in my neighborhood?

    A flushing sign posted in your neighborhood means our crews will be flushing water lines in the area as part of the Department's ongoing maintenance program. The sign will be posted 1 to 2 days prior to the start of flushing. Depending on the size of the area, flushing may take for 1 to 3 weeks to complete. Please contact Public Utilities at (804) 365-6024 if you have questions.

    Find out what a backflow preventer is and if I need one?

    Backflow preventers are devices on your water line that prevent water from moving backwards, preventing possible contamination. It is required that each home has:

    • A vacuum breaker on each outdoor spigot. These are inexpensive to purchase and available at most hardware stores.
    • A backflow preventer on the irrigation system. These must be tested annually by a licensed backflow prevention tester. Most irrigation companies can provide this service.

    Get a copy of my neighborhood’s annual water quality report?

    Water quality reports tell you where your water comes from and what our tests show about its quality. They are updated once a year. 

    Have my septic tank pumped out?

    Contact a private sewer handler to have your septic tank pumped out every five years.

    Have my well water tested?

    Public Utilities can test your water for e-coli and coliform. Visit our office from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 7516 County Complex Road, Hanover, VA 23069 to pick up a sampling packet and instructions. There is a fee for this service.