Residential Development                   

In some instances, if a property is not zoned for residential uses it must first be rezoned before proceeding through the subdivision or site plan process. 

Single Family Residential (attached and detached)

To divide a parcel(s) to create new residential lots the development plan must be reviewed through the residential subdivision review process.

Subdividing land requires approval from the Planning department, except when:

  • The sale or exchange of parcels does not result in additional building lots or reconfiguration of the property
  • The division is the result of an inheritance or by court order
  • The division is to create a lot for a public facility, public building, or community well

Which review process to follow? 

The scope and complexity of a proposed development will determine the review process to be followed. Some factors used to determine the review process include:

  • The number of lots proposed
  • The need to extend public utilities (water and sewer) to the property
  • The need to upgrade or construct roads to serve the development
  • The need to construct public drainage improvements to serve the development

Construction plan application deadlines and review schedule
Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors administrative items deadlines and review schedule

Administrative Subdivision

Public Improvement Subdivision

Family Divisions

Family divisions have different review criteria and a separate review process from other residential subdivisions. The application provides a list of the requirements and defines who qualifies as a family member. There are two types of family division applications:

  • Use the family division application if the proposed lot meets the minimum lot size required by the zoning district
  • Use the family homestead application for property in the A-1, Agricultural District where the proposed lot is less than 10 acres in size

Multi-family Residential

For multi-family residential development, follow one of the following processes: 

  • Duplexes or townhouses - follow the residential subdivision review process
  • Condominiums or apartments - follow the site plan review process

Performance Agreement and Bonding Process

The developer is required to enter into a performance agreement and provide financial surety to the county to guarantee there are sufficient funds to complete the improvements (i.e. roads, public utilities, drainage, landscaping, etc.) if the developer fails to do so.

For a complete description of the bonding processes, review the bond manual:

There are various types of performance agreements and surety types that can be utilized. For more information, review the following options:

Performance Agreement for Subdivision Ordinance Requirements

Performance Agreement for Zoning Ordinance Requirements

Performance Agreements for Site Plans

Performance Surety for Subdivisions

Performance Surety for Zoning Ordinance Requirements

Performance Surety for Site Plans

Surety Change Forms