Land Disturbance & Drainage

Erosion and Sediment Control

Most land disturbing activities, such as clearing and construction, require an erosion and sediment control plan:

  • For residential structures a plot plan and a land disturbance permit application must be submitted to the Department of Public Works with a building permit application
  • A water quality impact assessment may also be required based on the location of the disturbed areas relative to wetlands, streams, or drainage ways
  • Some agricultural and forestry management activities may require other approvals from the Soil and Water Conservation District or the Department of Forestry

Check with the Department of Public Works to determine if a specific activity requires other approval

Drainage Control

All new development or redevelopment must consider and address the effects of runoff and flooding. Projects must meet the requirements of: