Filing a Trade Name

Certificates of Assumed or Fictitious Name (also referred to as trade name) are filed in the Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. 

VA Code Section 59.1-69 addresses the requirements for persons, partnerships, limited liability companies or corporations to file certificates of assumed or fictitious name when business is conducted in Virginia under a name other than the owner's legal name.  Depending upon the type of business entity, you may be required by  VA Code Section 59.1-70 or other Virginia statute to also file a certified copy of the original certificate with the clerk’s office of the State Corporation Commission. The Corporation Commission’s telephone number is (804) 371-9733 and its website address is
VA Code Section 59.1-75 sets out penalties for violating  VA Code Section 59.1-69.

The staff of the Clerk’s Office can provide procedural information regarding filing instructions, but it cannot give legal advice.    

Is the Assumed Name Already in Use

Before filing the certificate of assumed or fictitious name, you may want to check the alphabetized index of assumed or fictitious names in the clerk’s office to confirm that the business name you have selected is not already in use.  You are encouraged to consult with an attorney concerning the protection of your business trade name.

Filing a Certificate of Assumed Name

The Supreme Court of Virginia provides a form for filing an assumed name that you may find useful.  You can download the form Certificate of Assumed or Fictitious Name (CC-1050) and   Instructions at the Virginia Judicial System’s website.  

A certificate can be filed at the clerk’s office on the 2ndfloor of the Courthouse, 7530 County Complex Road, Hanover, VA 23069 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

If submitting by mail, please send your completed certificate to:

Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
Attention: Assumed or Fictitious Names
P.O. Box 39
Hanover, VA 23069

For your application to be considered complete, please note:

  • Use the “Print for Submission to Court” button when printing the form. Printing from your Internet browser will sometimes result in the appearance of grey boxes on the form. The Clerk’s Office cannot accept grey bars over any fields.
  • If the form is handwritten, you must print in black ink.
  • All signatures must be acknowledged before a notary or deputy clerk. For partnerships, all partners must sign the certificate.
  • Provide a self-addressed envelope so that the filed certificate and any certified copies can be returned to you.
  • Include the filing fee of $10, which is payable by cash, check or money order. Checks should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk. Please do not send cash by mail.

Requesting Copies of Your Certificate

If you plan to submit a certified copy of your certificate filed in the clerk’s office to the State Corporation Commission, you may request certified copies when you file your application with the Clerk’s Office. Copies are 50 cents per page, and there is a $2 fee for certifying the document.

Discontinuing the Use of a Business Name

The clerk’s office accepts certificates concerning discontinued use of assumed names that are in recordable form.  We are unaware of any court approved form for discontinuing the use of an assumed name. We encourage you to consult an attorney for guidance on the best way to proceed.

Forms and Documents