Deeds & Plats

The Clerk of the Circuit Court’s land records division records real estate documents such as:

  • Deeds
  • Deeds of trust
  • Certificates of satisfaction
  • Plats
  • Assignments

The clerk’s office also dockets judgments and files UCC statements, which are liens on real estate.

Looking up Land Records

If you wish to access Hanover County land records or record a document, you may do so in person at the clerk’s office weekdays, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. The recording office and records room are located on the second floor of the Circuit Courthouse at 7530 County Complex Road, Hanover, VA 23069.

For a monthly fee, we also offer a secure remote access online subscription service available 24 hours a day:  Secure Remote Access Land Records Website. A subscription may make sense if you frequently look up land records.

Recording Land Records

Virginia's Judicial System – Deed Book includes forms for commonly used documents you might have reason to record with the clerk’s office. These forms include:

  • Certificate of Partial Satisfaction
  • Certificate and Affidavit of Satisfaction
  • Certificate of Release of Memorandum of Lis Pendens Attachment
  • Memorandum for Mechanic’s Lien Claimed by General Contractor Under Virginia Code 43-5
  • Certificate of Release of Mechanics Lien

Please note that the clerk’s office cannot accept any forms in which grey boxes appear. To avoid the form printing with grey boxes, print the form using the “Print for Submission to Court” button, rather than the print feature on your Internet browser.

For a document to be recorded, it must:

  • Include original signatures, properly acknowledged
  • Be accompanied by the appropriate recording fee. Use the Virginia’s Judicial System – Recording Cost Calculator to determine the fee. The clerk’s office can accept fees paid by check, cash or money order. Checks should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk.
  • Be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope so that all documents may be returned once scanned, indexed, and verified
  • Meet the Library of Virginia's Standards for Recorded Instruments.  Plats must meet the Library of Virginia’s Standards for Plats.
  • Include a Geographic Parcel Identification Number (GPIN) if the document pertains to real estate. You can determine the GPIN by contacting the commissioner’s office at (804) 365-6128 or visiting our parcel search.
  • Do not include a social security number. In accordance with Virginia law, the clerk’s office will not knowingly record any document that contains a social security number.

Forms and Documents